Assistant General Manager
|Date Posted||July 26, 2017|
|Job Type||Customer Service, Front Desk, Management|
Charleston, SC – This position is to assist the General Manager by providing leadership to the daily operation of the hotel. This includes the Front Desk, Concierge, Maintenance, Housekeeping, Breakfast, Bell/Valet Services, Bar, Reservations and sub-contracted companies in accordance with policies, standards and guidelines established with the hotels Standards of Operations. This person will be expected to be “hands-on” and will be scheduled according to business levels.
The objectives are to ensure overall satisfaction of both guests of the hotel and employees of the hotel, promote positive employee morale, efficiency of operations, safety and security of guest, staff and hotel, develop positive relationships with all vendors and sub-contractors and ensure cost controls.
This position is responsible for maintaining exceptional relationships with the guest as well as assisting in the supervision of the operation of the hotel.
This position is a very visible position, and the person having this responsibility must possess effective communication skills, a professional appearance, the ability to resolve conflict and have a thorough understanding of the hotel and its needs.
Based upon fluctuating demands of the HarbourView Inn and to exceed Guest expectations, it may be necessary for this person to perform many distinct functions not specifically related to the position. Employee responsibilities and job descriptions are subject to review and revision.
Essential Functions and Accountabilities:
- Responsible for planning, organizing, implementing, monitoring and documenting programs (i.e preventative maintenance, equipment maintenance, inspections, reviews, etc.)
- Process, maintain and review payroll records for the appropriate personnel.
- Ensure that all hotel accounting standards are adhered to and all staff is correctly trained (I.e appropriate charges are applied to Guest Folios, cash banks are maintained to required levels, etc.)
- Must initiate, implement, understand and analyze all accounting procedure to include: weekly labor forecast, inventory procedures, monthly revenue forecast, annual budgeting procedures, capital expenditures and month end analysis.
- Responsible for coordinating with the Director of Sales to ensure all groups requirements are met or exceeded.
- Responsible for creating and monitoring all master group accounts.
- Responsible for monitoring invoicing all Direct Bill accounts to ensure that the hotel receives all money owed in a timely fashion.
- Based on the upcoming room forecasts, create the labor schedule to ensure efficient use of payroll funds.
- Ensure that the hotels room inventory is up to date on all appropriate websites (i.e. 3rd Party Internet sites).
- Ensure all packages are handled efficiently.
- Comply with the HarbourView Inns purchasing procedures.
- Accountable for petty cash.
- Assist in developing hotels capital improvement plan.
- Responsible for implementing policies and procedures involving severe weather, safety and fire.
- Assist in and be accountable for the timely completion of any projects as requested.
- Maintain an accurate and current filing system.
- Treat each Guest and other Employees with courtesy, dignity and respect while maintaining a consistent, professional demeanor.
- Initiate and maintain effective positive communication between Guests and Employees.
- Ensure follow-up to Guest feedback (comment cards, instant comments, internet reviews, etc.) and provide feedback to the General Manager.
- Answer inquiries pertaining to Guest services, registration of Guests, shopping, dining, activities, entertainment, travel directions and other inquiries.
- Communicate with Housekeeping about any information pertaining to reservations and Guest requests.
- Maintain and “Open Door” communication for Employees.
- Participate in weekly meeting with the General Manager. Provide agenda items 24 hours prior to the meeting.
- Maintain contact with trade associates, professional organizations and industry publications for improvement of procedures and new technical advances.
- Attend all relevant meetings.
- Conduct weekly staff meetings and provide minutes.
- Maintain an increased awareness of safety issues throughout the Club
- Maintain and monitor effective Employee relations and a supportive, confidential environment.
- Participate with interviewing, selecting, training, guiding and managing Employees.
- Conduct New Hire Orientations. Revise orientation information specific to the HarbourView Inn as needed.
- Responsible for the development of Employees.
- Maintain Job Descriptions, postings, personnel evaluations, telephone listings and benefits.
- Responsible for creating and maintaining Employee files and payroll related tasks for management.
- Implement and continually administer all aspects of a Department Training Program to include full documentation.
- Participate with performance evaluations of Employees.
- Participate with implementing and administering progressive discipline policies and procedures involving any and all personnel.
- Ensure all Employees are in appropriate attire for their scheduled shift.
- Periodically review and update labor standards.
- Participate in wage compensation review when necessary.
- Responsible for reviewing, understanding and following Guest business needs.
- Maintain current knowledge of all activities and events in the surrounding areas.
- Promote and encourage Guest name recognition at all times.
- Oversee the concierge related tasks for Guests including the arrangement of travel plans, accommodations, tee times, dinner reservations, etc.
- Have a thorough understanding of all hotel amenities.
- Inspect the performance of Housekeeping and Maintenance personnel.
- Participate in Guest events.
- Address and coordinate pre-arrival functions: gift baskets, champagne set ups, dinner reservations and any other services required.
- Ensure that all staff provides the highest levels of Guest services.
- Ensure friendly and efficient arrival and departure process for all Guests.
- Adhere to all written, mandatory Standards of Operations, Policies and Procedures, manuals, memos and oral instructions.
- Inspect the hotel including public spaces and exterior daily.
- Inspect specified number of rooms weekly.
- Oversee the hotels physical plant operations to include: interior public spaces, exterior grounds, storage areas, meeting space, garage and rooms.
- Supervise maintenance operations for the hotel including, refrigeration, heating, plumbing, preventative maintenance, electrical, kitchen equipment, laundry equipment, etc.
- Review weekly schedule of all Front Desk, Housekeeping, Bell/Valet Services, Maintenance, Reservations and Breakfast personnel.
- Aid and instruct Maintenance in scheduling work, ordering materials and completing assignments by specified dates.
- Have a thorough understanding involving the maintenance of the hotel.
- Ensure that all hotel equipment is maintained in good working conditions.
- Coordinate cashier transaction procedures for Guests and ensure Front Desk personnel are aware of procedures.
- Possess knowledge of service contract and amenity suppliers.
- Possess a thorough understanding of the Property Management System to include: Reservations, Accounting, Credit Card Authorization, etc.
- Periodically review and update procedures and par levels of all amenities and equipment.
- Provide excellent services consistent with the expectations of a 5-diamond hotel.
Because of the fluctuating demands of the Hotel’s operation, it may be necessary that each employee perform a multitude of distinct functions; therefore, as an essential part of your position, you will be expected to help others when the occasion arises, just as other employees are expected to help you. Accordingly, you may be expected to perform other tasks and duties as needed or as directed.
Three to five years of Front of the House Hospitality experience.
College degree is preferred. (Hotel Management, Hospitality Management or other business-related degree is preferred).
Certificates, licenses, and/or identification cards as required by the U.S. Department of Justice to verify employment eligibility.
Budget Control Responsibilities
Knowledge of departmental budgets in order to help control costs.
Maintain an increased awareness of safety issues. Ensure all security policies and procedures are observed in areas such as keys, locks, inventory, computer security, PCI compliance and Guest and employee information.
Eight (8) hours of job related training annually. Must provide detailed documentation on all training to immediate supervisor.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety manuals, operating and maintenance instructions as well as standard operating procedures.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before employees and guests.
- Ability to create documents in Excel and Word.
- Ability to understand other computer programs (including the Property Management Program).
Working Conditions and Environment
- The noise level of the work environment is usually moderate.
- The person having this position may have to lift up to 25lbs daily.
- The person having this position will have to stand for approximately eight (8) hours a day.
- The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those an employee typically encounters while performing the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to accommodate persons with disabilities to perform the essential functions.